Friday, May 13, 2011

Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown: Days 4 AND 5

Unfortunately, there was a tiny blip with Blogger and my Day 5 post was lost :(

So today, you get two for the price of one! This installment of the Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown will cover Days 4 AND 5!

This week has been unbelievably stressful. Just when I thought I had all my projects at work headed towards completion before I leave for vacation...WHAP...I get hit with a truckload of drama! Thankfully, I was able to resolve everything yesterday and the solution to the drama resulted in a few deadline extensions which in turn, took a lot of stress away! No pre-vacation deadlines...Yay!

However, my Day 4 and 5 selections are very reflective of my stressed out week. You see whenever I am stressed the first thing I reach for is sweets. Yesterday, in the midst of all the insanity I was dealing with, this thought flickered through my mind:

"Oh god, I would absolutely kill for a Dole Whip!"

Day 5: Dole Whip Pineapple Soft Serve from Captain Cook's at Disney's Polynesian Resort OR Aloha Isle at The Magic Kingdom

What is a Dole Whip you ask? I feel so sorry for you if you have never experienced one. A Dole Whip is pineapple soft serve ice cream. It is fruity, cold, creamy and slightly tart. It is also perfectly refreshing after a stressful day. Well, actually I have never been stressed at Walt Disney World...so I can only assume that it would be perfectly refreshing after a stressful day!

There are several variations of the Dole Whip. My favorite, the pineapple soft serve, pictured above. There is also vanilla (which honestly is just soft serve) and twist, which blends vanilla and pineapple together, think pineapple creamsicle...Yum! At the Aloha Isle location you can have vanilla, pineapple or twist soft serve made into a float with pineapple juice, also known as the Dole Whip Float.

Next up on our cravings countdown is, in my opinion, the most amazing and most popular dessert at Walt Disney World.

Day 4: Pineapple Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream from 'Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort

That's right, two Polynesian treats in one post! This is the mother of all desserts.

'Ohana is a family style restaurant and items on the menu include pineapple coconut bread, salad with honey lime dressing, honey coriander sticky wings, pork pot stickers, stir-fried vegetables, lo mein noodles with pineapple and peanut sauce and a variety of meats such as chicken, beef, shrimp and pork grilled over a massive wood-burning fire pit.

But the finale of your meal is the sinfully delicious Pineapple Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream. The bread pudding is the perfect balance of crispy exterior, meltingly soft custardy interior, not overly sweet or savory. The sauce is a rum caramel with slivers of banana and the ice cream compliments both elements. When you put it all together it tastes tropical, creamy, crunchy, fruity and downright fabulous.

So the next time you are at Walt Disney World, try out these tasty treats! I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment