Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown: Day 7

One week from now, at this time, our flight will have just landed in Florida!

I am continuing my Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown with another family tradition. Over the years our "arrival night dinner" has ranged from Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Chefs de France and even...McDonald's *shudder* (only for very late night arrivals!).

But a few years ago, our arrival dinner location changed. We were staying at the Polynesian and had planned on dining at Kona Cafe. Much to our surprise, we discovered that the Kona Island Coffee Bar was running a trial as the Kona Island Sushi Bar in the evenings!

We decided to forgo Kona Cafe and give the new sushi bar a try. Oh my goodness! We are so glad we did. We have made the Kona Island Sushi Bar our first night dinner for our past 6 trips to Walt Disney World.

I love the atmosphere of the Polynesian lobby. The smell, the sound of the waterfall, the Hawaiian music and looking through the windows to see the monorail zip by. This makes the sushi bar a serious happy place for me.

There is seating for approximately 20 people located along the windows and in front of the sushi bar itself. The menu is somewhat limited, maybe 7 or 8 rolls and a Chef's Special platter. However, you are free to order any items off of the Kona Cafe menu as well.

Now, on to the good stuff!

Day 7 - Volcano Roll from Kona Island Sushi Bar at Disney's Polynesian Resort
Doesn't it look lovely?? I think this is one of the prettiest sushi rolls I have ever seen. The contrasts in colour, height, composition all make me want to reach through my computer screen and eat every single bite. Sadly, I cannot do that :(

However, I will be having this little beauty for dinner exactly 1 week from tonight.

The Volcano Roll is the Kona Island Sushi Bar's answer to a spicy tuna roll. But it is so much better than that. The roll itself is traditional, with nori on the outside. It is filled with delicate slivers of tuna and a pickled vegetable mixture that includes carrots, Japanese radish and chives. Scattered around the plate you will find a creamy, spicy shrimp salad, a spicy mayo, tempura crunch bits and edible flower petals.

Oh how I wish I could have this for lunch today. Ah well, soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment