Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown: Day 6

Mmmmm...Barbeque....Oh, sorry! I was lost in thought there for a minute.

Only 6 days left until my next Walt Disney World vacation and today my craving is something smokey, spicy and downright delicious!

Continuing the Walt Disney World Cravings Countdown I give you:

Day 6: St. Louis Ribs from Flame Tree Barbeque at Disney's Animal Kingdom

We stumbled upon Flame Tree Barbeque during our first visit to Animal Kingdom. It was about 11:30am and we were hot, tired and hungry. As we wandered towards the Discovery Island section of the park we were stopped dead in our tracks by the intoxicating aroma of barbeque!

We happily ordered some finger-lickin-good ribs and turned the corner to find a place to sit. This is when we were blown away. The seating area at this simple counter service restaurant is massive! It stretches down to the water and it includes adorable covered spaces (which become less adorable when you realize they are all themed to predator & prey pairings such as Owls & Rabbits, Ant-eaters and Ants etc...! Check it out next time!). The music is very exotic and gives the entire area a foreign feeling.

The combination of shade, atmosphere and fantastic food bring us back here every trip. I have never ordered anything but the St. Louis Ribs. Now, I realize that these don't hold a candle to "real" barbeque. But, since I have never been blessed with trying the real deal, these are fantastic to me. And when you consider that they are coming from a Theme Park fast food location, they become all the more impressive.

The rub is complex, not too spicy or sweet, and there is just enough. The meat does NOT fall off the bone, but has a beautifully tender consistency. My understanding is the ribs where the bones just slide straight out are actually overcooked! But the absolute best part is the sauce.....oh the sauce...I want to smother every morsel of those ribs in this sauce. I found a recipe online and have tried numerous times to replicate it with varying degrees of success, but I just can't quite get it perfect. It is tomato and molasses based, thinner than a bottled variety of sauce so it coats the meat without overpowering the flavor of the rub.

Excuse me...I'm practically drooling now! Thankfully, I will indulge in these tasty ribs in just over a week's time. Yum...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment